Sunday, August 9, 2009

FO--Celtic Knot Stole

I finished knitting the Celtic Knot Stole at the pub late Friday night/early Saturday morning and then wove in the ends Saturday morning.

When I had blocked the Seascape Stole, I discovered that by the time I had it on the blocking wires, it was pretty well dry, and that made it more difficult to block. So this time I put it on the wires first. I started that process yesterday, but I did not have much energy, so I did not end up putting it in the tub to soak until this morning. Per the designer's instructions, I let it soak for about an hour. Then I drained the tub and rinsed it a bit. Next I held it up to let the excess water drain off. Once the water stopped streaming off, I put it on a towel to blot up more of the water.

While it was soaking, parts of it had come off the blocking wires, so I threaded the edges back on. The wires help make a nice straight edge, and it beats using hundreds of pins to get a straight edge. Once that was done, I laid it out on the daybed I have in my spare room/craft room and started stretching and pinning it. It took probably at least half an hour to get it all pinned.

I took it off the wires this evening. I am pretty happy with it, but I may block it again before KC Irish Fest. I do not have a picture of it off the blocking wires yet, but I will post one once I get a good one.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Getting There

I know I have been bad about blogging. Most evenings I just do not think about it. That being said, I have made substantial process on the Celtic Knot Stole. I finished the main part of it last week, and I finished the first edge last night.

After finishing the main part, I started working on the edge. The designer has the edge charted so that the right side rows are read left to right instead of right to left like I am used to, so that kind of threw me for a loop. I ended up recharting it so it would be easier for me to deal with, and that helped me quite a bit.

Today I put the other end on the needles and removed the provisional cast on. So far all I have managed to do is knit the first row it called for and then do the crochet cast on to get the edge started. I am still new to this particular crochet cast on, and it is a bit tricky for me. Hopefully, I will be able to start this edge with fewer missteps than the other one.