Friday, December 25, 2009

Update

Yesterday's ERCP (an endoscopic procedure) went well. When I had the one on November 3, 2009, they overdid it with the anesthesia. My dad thinks that perhaps they did not take into account that I was also on a pretty healthy dosage of morphine at the time. This time, I was not on any heavy duty painkillers, and I would not let them give me any. They mentioned another possibility, but since I am allergic to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.), they could not do that. Either way, I am glad I did not let them give me narcotics, because I came out from under the anesthesia just fine.

Before going under anesthesia, I did talk with my GI doctor briefly. Apparently this remaining pseudocyst is not resolving, because there is a leak in the pancreatic duct. I did ask him why the radiologist needed to talk with him so urgently, and it turns out he was just wanting an update.

I did not talk with my GI doctor after the ERCP, but he did talk to my dad. It is my understanding that I have made a lot of progress in the last six weeks. They replaced the stent in the pancreatic duct, and hopefully things will heal up this time.

It sounds like I will have a follow up with the radiologist next week. My guess is they will inject dye into the drain catheter again (better that than into my veins).

No comments: