Sunday, April 6, 2008

Aggravation

I go to Francis O'Dooley's about every Friday and Saturday night to listen to Rich Stevenson play. I drink Diet Coke (I am my own designated driver), knit (yes, I often knit at the pub), and sing/yell along. However, last night has me rethinking things. Once in a while I do order food, but I primarily go to hear Rich play.

Last night was the KU-North Carolina game, and I left my apartment with about 3 and half minutes left in the first half. I got to the pub shortly before halftime started and got a table. I am sitting at the table by myself, and the usual Saturday night waiter is not there. I see a waitress going around getting people drinks, and she went by me a number of times. Eventually one of my pub friends came in, and when he got to the table, I made a comment about now that someone else was there, maybe the waitress would see if I wanted something. The sad thing is, that was pretty much the case. I think she knew I was a regular, because she asked if I wanted a Diet Coke. I told her no ice, and she did bring it in the large glass that the usual Friday and Saturday night wait staff bring me. However, I had been there for almost a half hour before she bothered to see if I wanted anything. At one point in the evening, one of the other guys I was sitting with had to flag her down, because she pretty much ignored me. The soda runs me $2.00, and I gave her a five. I guess I should have told her how much to bring me in change, because she never brought me any. I had not planned to tip her $3.00, because I do not think she earned it. Now the usual people who wait on me earn the $3.00 tips. They know my name, and they tend to bring me my usual (Diet Coke, no ice in the big glass) without me even having to ask for it. They also check on me to see if I need refills. She did not. Now with it being the KU game, the pub was a little more crowded, but I have had better service even when it has been busier (like the Saturday right before St. Patrick's Day).

I have dealt with poor service on Saturday nights before, but fortunately such instances are few and far between. However, it did not stop with the waitress. The bartender called last call around 1:15 a.m. I well realize that Kansas law requires us to be out by 2:00 a.m., but there have been other times I have been there when last call is not until after 1:30 a.m. Then they were trying to kick us out at about 1:35 a.m. When this was mentioned to them, the bartender and the guy who acts as a bouncer (at least I think he does) got really rude and nasty. Since I was there until 2:00 a.m. the night before (I do not always stay this late), this does not seem to be a standard practice. I am seriously considering writing the owners to inform them of their staff members actions and the poor customer service. I know I do not spend much money at their establishment, but if the poor customer service continues, I will spend even less.

No comments: