Saturday, April 5, 2008

Arctic Landscape Bag

I started working on the Arctic Landscape Bag again, and I finally seem to have the hang of it. The coloration does not quite shift the way the pattern says, but it is close enough. One of my friends reminded me that since it is a hand-dyed yarn (Wool of the Andes Bulky Hand-Dyed), it varies from batch to batch.



There are three other people on Ravelry who have this as a project. One frogged it (ripped it out), because they were not happy with it. The other two have theirs done, and they seemed to have turned out pretty well. However, I have run into another problem. I am running out of yarn. The pattern specified one hank of Wool of the Andes Bulky in Navy and two hanks of the hand-dyed colorway Yukon.



Since taking this picture, I have finished the last pattern row of the textured pattern, but I need to do four more rounds of stockinette then work in stockinette until it is the length specified in the pattern. I think the four more rounds of stockinette will get it to the specified length. The shaping for the bottom of the bag adds another couple inches of length, so I am certain I do not have enough of the Yukon colorway to finish the bag. I have sent messages to the others on Ravelry who finished the bag to see if they had the same problem.

Because I will have to order more yarn to finish the project, I am going to work on the handles to see if I have enough of the Navy. I doubt I will be able to get the same dye lot, but oh well.

Overall conclusion: The pattern is doable, and I think it will look very nice once it is finished. If you are going to do this one, buy extra yarn.

1 comment:

Billie said...

Well,I Googled my name tonight and found your blog regarding my design, Artic Landscape Bag. I'm sorry you are having trouble with it. I know it is difficult. I struggled with it when I designed it, but it came out so beautiful, I just had to share the pattern. I have tired to teach the bag to my knitter's group with little success. I have suggested the knitter make the bag without the "Hills and Valleys" pattern stitch and just move the colors as instructed. After you master the moving of the colors, then make your next bag using the pattern stitch where indicated. I'm sure you will want to make more than one bag. I have made them in Storm, Ireland, and Redwood Forest.....all are beautiful. I did not design the bag using the provisional cast on. the design coordinator thought it a better method and I finally went along with it, but your favorite cast on method will do just fine, knit (or purl) for 1 1/2", flip up the cast on row and knit the two together. Simple. It is very important that you knit to the gauge specified on the pattern, otherwise the colors will not "move" correctly. Please feel free to email me for more info or encouraging words. My address is Bilmae@cni.net

Billie Marxmiller